Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Confession

Readers, I have a confession.  That lovely blue strapless dress was not the first tablecloth dress I made.  Minutes after reading Veronica Darling's blog post, I raced to my box of wedding things packed away in the basement and pulled out this:

Photobucket

Yes, I was so excited by a blog post that I immediately cut up the tablecloth I bought specifically for the gift table at my wedding.  What can I say, I was motivated and impatient and didn't want to wait for the one I ordered from eBay to come.

Since I didn't take any photos of me sewing the dress, I thought I'd show some construction details instead.

The inside of the dress turned out great.  I lined it, and I used double fold bias tape to finish the waist seam.

Photobucket

I used a vintage metal zipper (can I call it a vintage dress, since it's made with vintage fabric and notions?)

                  Photobucket

Photobucket

Ha, see what I mean about being careful to match up the print? I was so excited to cut out the pieces that I didn't even think about the finished product, so it doesn't match up at all.

I used white lace hem tape, and since I knew this was just going to be a casual summer dress, I machine stitched the hem.  I'd normally do it by hand or use Steam A Seam, but I think it works with the laid-back vibe of this frock.

                  Photobucket

Photobucket

Finally, I used some leftover scraps to make a tie belt.

                   Photobucket

                   Photobucket

It's not the best thing I've ever sewn, but it fits perfectly and it'll be great for lazy summer Sundays.

1 comment:

  1. Amy I love your blog and this dress. You are so creative. Sometimes I like things not matching pefectly and this dress looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Followers