Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Make & Mend 2011

Photobucket

My fabric stash is steadily growing, as is my pile of unfinished items, so when Shelley announced this sew along, I was immediately on board.  My husband has been making snide comments about the amount of fabric I've been bringing home from thrift stores, and even though I feel like I'm sewing something every week, the pile is getting out of control!  I also realized that I have half a dozen unfinished projects that I either am too lazy to fix or have given up on. 

I need to fix the zipper on one of my favorite homemade dresses.  It came unraveled and I've been wearing it with safety pin holding it up.

Photobucket

I also started taking apart this vintage skirt with the intention of making the waistband a little bigger. It's kind of snug on me, so I thought I could cut a new waistband since there's about 6" of fabric in the hem. But, then I have to re-hem it. And my button holer sucks. So it sits, in unwearable condition.

Photobucket

This skirt is completely done except for the zipper, but I don't have one in the correct size and color.

Photobucket

This skirt is completely finished, zipper and all, but I got cocky while making it and never tried it on along the way. It's a good 2" too small in the waist. I've been toying with just giving it away...but I like it, and I have extra fabric, so I should just make a dang new waistband.

Photobucket

Finally, remember this guy? All that's left is one measly sleeve! I even have the facing already sewn on. I've just lost interest.

Photobucket

Photobucket

For my re-purpose, I was thinking of cutting this dress apart. It's Burda's Coffee Date Dress, and one of the first things I made when I took up sewing again. It's so poorly made, too short, and too high-waisted. I've always been sad about ruining that amazing piece of vintage seersucker, so I think it's time to give it a new life.

Photobucket

I've got the scraps saved, so I'm hoping I can eke out enough fabric to make this pattern.  I've got the muslin started!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Excellent plan! I love that romper too! And my husband also raises an eyebrow at my fabric hoarding :) I look forward to seeing how it all comes together!

    ReplyDelete

Followers