Wednesday, June 1, 2011

One Pattern, Seven Bloggers: Finished!

Photobucket

Six weeks ago, six bloggers and I set out to make this Burdastyle dress and put our own personal spin on it. Muslins have been made, fabric has been selected, tutorials have been done, and now it's time for the big reveal!
My inspiration for my dress was a winter-turning-to-spring, simpler times kind of thing, and I think I acheived that. I love how it turned out. It's the perfect summer dress for hanging out in the yard and grilling. The best part is, it only cost $10 to make! $5 for the pattern, $2 for the fabric, and $3 for the eyelet ruffle around the bottom.
Photobucket

The bodice ended up a little loose on top, but I'm okay with that.  You don't want something clinging to your flesh on a hot summer day.

Photobucket

Obligatory photo with a surly orange cat!

Photobucket

The entire dress is lined in comfy cotton muslin and it feels really good to wear.  It's so soft.  The great thing about this pattern is that it's really a blank canvas.  You can dress it up or dress it down depending on the fabric and embellishments.  When I make it again (and you know I will, I'm all about sewing multiples) I want to use a dressier fabric for going out.  The only changes I made to the original pattern were adding a full lining and making the neckline higher.  The original neckline was REALLY low.  Like obscene-style on me.  I raised it about 1.5".

There isn't a pattern piece for the skirt - the instructions just say to gather a rectangle of fabric.  I took some liberties and used four yards of fabric in that skirt!  It was about an inch thick when I was sewing through the gathers.  I used my serger to attach the ruffle which ended up being a huge time saver.  No hemming!  Hemming that much skirt would have taken me hours.

The rest of the ladies already have their big reveals posted, so make sure you stop by their blogs to see! 

7 comments:

  1. Really gorgeous and summery Amy! You've definitely achieved the cool, laid-back look you were going for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how different each dress is from each blogger in this challenge. Yours reminds me of orange sherbert. I love it. The hem looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty and summery :)

    fashbrickroad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love the trim around the bottom. I am thinking I will need to make a summer version now too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy your dress is so pretty! You look great in pink, and I love the addition of the eyelet to the hem. You have done a fantastic job! Thanks for sewing along with me :-) Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. That most certainly does not look like a $10 dress! It's the perfect summer dress, and I love the way it sits on you. I think you're right, for a summery dress the bodice fits perfectly. As does your Garfield cat tee hee! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that Bone is so meaty! Auntie love. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers