Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Party Dress

I've mentioned before that I don't have a lot of "going out" clothes.  Milwaukee is a pretty casual city, and I don't really hit the bars too often.  When I do, I usually just wear a casual dress and some heels and call it a night.  I came across this fabric at Bargain Center (a Lutheran thrift shop) and it's pretty much a party in fabric form.  It's real silk, and I got about 3 yards of it for $8.

Photobucket

I've been wanting to remake Butterick B5209 for a while now, but it uses quite a bit of fabric because it is self-lined and has a full skirt.  I had plenty, and I like the juxtaposition of the crazy 80's fabric with the 40's dress.  I put it together much easier than last time, but not completely error-free.  The fabric doesn't have a "wrong" side, so I sewed a sleeve on backwards.  I didn't realize it until I was sewing in the lining, but it was easy enough to rip out and fix.

And boy, did I ever party in it. 

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Half that beer ended up spilled down the front of it!

I love this dress.  It's colorful, it's comfy, it's easy to accessorize, and most of all, it just feels fun to wear.  I need more party clothes.  If I had more party clothes, I'd try to find more reasons to party!  It could be a cycle of awesomeness.

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I really like it! Fun fabric, fun dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the short swing skirt and the vibrant colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun party dress, I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab dress. I probably would have avoided that fabric had I seen it folded up in the shop...but it totally rocks made up into that 40's dress. And the fit is fantastic, you look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute dress. I agree with Suzie--I don't think I would have picked up that fabric, but I love what you've done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely my favorite dress yet. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing all these beautiful dresses on your blog I immediately want to start sewing a dress! Unfortunately I don't have such wonderful vintage patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Followers