Monday, October 28, 2013

Happy Halloween!

Poor, sad, abandoned blog. I have been sewing, just nothing exciting enough to post about! I have been doing a lot of tailoring of existing clothes of mine, and buying fixer-uppers at thrift stores and  eBay and working on those. I think I get this way every fall? I lose my motivation to sew and revert to wearing leggings and sweater dresses every day. I really dislike fall and I just want to be warm and comfy. One thing that IS exciting enough to share is my Halloween costume. You all know I LOVE Halloween, and I start thinking about my costume way in advance.   I have no idea where this idea popped into my head, but one day I decided I wanted to dress as "All the Way" Mae, and I was set. A League of Their Own is one of my favorite movies (and it was my first "date" with my still-best friend, in 1992!) Besides, I freaking love Madonna.

 photo tumblr_m6sw2qGI7j1qazwkm.jpg

My first mission was to find a pattern. I searched eBay and Etsy for weeks for the perfect 40's pattern, but I never found one that was quite right. They were either too formal, the wrong size, or too expensive. I set an eBay saved search for "double breasted dress pattern" and this 60's McCall popped up one day. It's a little bit too big, but for $6 I decided to work with it. I also found 3 yards of peach cotton twill on eBay.

 photo IMG_3196.jpg

Finding the uniform's patches proved to be difficult. I tried to find official ones, but I think they either don't exist or I missed the boat. I ended up outsourcing someone on Etsy to embroider the dress and hat for me. It didn't cost that much, either! I found the socks at Target, the belt and shoes at Goodwill, and I made the red cotton shorts.

 photo IMG_3015.jpg

I hadn't planned on wearing a wig, but I cut my hair really short a week ago. 8'!!! I wasn't going to go so short, but my stylist said a couple more inches and I could donate it, so I said do it. I really love it! It's super cute and takes like 3 minutes to style. And I found pretty much the perfect wig. It was a "burlesque girl" wig, and it had the perfect curls and rolled bangs.

 photo IMG_3157.jpg

 photo IMG_3168.jpg
 
 photo 1385453_10151654989981717_62383360_n.jpg

 photo 1379828_10151654989446717_2014778776_n.jpg

I loved this costume so much!! I am going out again this Saturday just so I can wear it again. I kind of want to wear it to work on Thursday, too. I got so many compliments! And I wish I had kept tally of guys who yelled "There's no crying in baseball!" at me. Haha. I still think Effie Trinket was my favorite costume ever, but I am pretty proud of this one, too.

I hHope everyone has a fabulous Halloween!

12 comments:

  1. GREAT COSTUME!! I have to say, Halloween is really not that big here in Australia, but i have enjoyed seeing all the American Bloggers i follow, get themselves ready for (apparently huge) day/night. Plus i love A League of Their Own, and seeing your fabulous costume has made me desperately want to watch the movie again! Who knew Geena Davis could look so good in a backwards cap?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I love that movie - just rewatched it recently. You look adorable. And I love that you outsourced the embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband was like "can't you just cut the R out of felt and glue it on?" He does not understand my commitment level!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seriously have the best Halloween costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE your costume idea! It turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeep, another great Halloween outfit...you nailed it again! Also, can we see your short hair please? I bet it looks super cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have missed your blogging! This is such a great costume.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy, how are you? I've missed your blog. How's life, what are you making? Let us know if you ever come to LA again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing costume! You totally went all out and it's brilliant! And please can we see the short hair? :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers